Thursday, September 6, 2012

Send me a Letter

It's been awhile, but never fear, a big update is coming soon (just as soon as I get some pictures from my husband).  In the meantime, here's a quick update on a quick project I did before I left for the long weekend.

The Mailbox has been looking a little sad since before we bought the house.  The box itself is in great shape.  It's black plastic and seems to be fairly new, but the post has seen better days.  It's just unstained, untreated natural wood 4 x 4's and it was looking a little gray and sad.  So, using the paint that we were going to use for the exterior trim, but turned out too light when it was outside (due to being semi-gloss), I gave it a mini-makeover.

First I removed the house numbers nailed to the post.  I washed them and gave them a good once over with a wire brush to remove some of the dirt and rust that was there.  Then I set them out to dry.

While the numbers were drying, I painted the post with our exterior paint from Home Depot.  It's a great color, but the semi-gloss finish made the color look too light when the sun was up.  It was washed out to the point that it looked the same color as the rest of the house.  Not the look we were going for.  Anyway, since we had most of a gallon left over, it got used here.

Once I had painted the post's every nook and cranny, I went back to the numbers (which were looking a little sad now) and gave them a good coat of paint.  Rustoleum's Universal Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray Paint had just what it took.  Now they look all shiny and new.  And oh so pretty.  And, they will match everything else outside once I get everything else all done.

Of course, I didn't take any before pictures, since that would have made too much sense, but here's a good shot of the mailbox after:

 And the flowers around the base:


And here are the numbers:


I still haven't put them back up yet.  I need to get some small nails for that since the ones that were holding them up were totally rusted through.  But still, it's a huge improvement and I'm looking forward to having a nice pretty mailbox with numbers when it's all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment