Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Saying Goodbye

So the one part of this whole experience that isn't so much fun (aside from packing boxes) is having to say goodbye to the incredible people I've met here in Lexington.  I've lived here for 12 years, almost as long as I lived in the town where I grew up.  I've made many friends here at church, at school, and at work and saying goodbye to them isn't easy.  Because the move is happening over such an extended period of time, the goodbyes have been spread out over the course of several months.  I bid farewell to my church family a couple of Sundays ago.  A good portion of my personal friends will be helping with the house, so it's not goodbye for them yet.  But last night it was time to bid adieu to my coworkers. True, I'm at work today, but many of my fellow SCoBIRCers are at the faculty retreat so last night we went to dinner as a lab and I said my goodbyes.

It's not the first time I've said goodbye to these folks.  About a year and a half ago, I left the lab for another job after working there for 5 years.  It was a very bittersweet day.  I'm not sorry I left, but I'm also glad that I got to come back.   This time goodbye is both easier and more permanent.  I've only been back for 7 months, and we all knew going in that I wasn't staying long.  Maybe that's why it's not nearly as emotional as my last exit.  But it is still bittersweet for me.

My SCoBIRC Family
I've worked with many different people over the years in several different places, but I can honestly say that SCoBIRC people are the best.  Like any group or family we have our bad apples and our fights, but for the most part it has been a pleasure and a privilege to get to work with this exceptional group of scientists every day.   I've learned a lot from them, about all sorts of things.  I've enjoyed working with them, traveling with them, and relaxing with them.  They've opened my eyes to all sorts of new experiences and ideas--Indian Food and (real) Chinese food, Hinduism and Islam, horse racing and old movies.

Many of them have watched me grow up.  When I started at SCoBIRC I was 20 years old with a newly minted diploma and no idea what I was doing.  Now, 9 years later, I'm on the verge of turning 30 with enough neurotrauma experience to get a job nearly anywhere.  I've helped 5 different students with their dissertation projects.  I've published a first author paper in a respect journal, and I've presented my work at the National Neurotrauma Society meeting.  I've come a long way.

As with any major life change, I'm sad to move on.  But I also know that it's time for me to change course and follow a different road.  Neurotrauma was never my passion.  I didn't choose to work in this field.  I've loved it, but it wasn't what I wanted to spend my life doing.  And, while it is comfortable, it's time for me to move on.  So I am.  But not without a few goodbyes along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment